Welcome to the notarised quick reference guide for episode forty-four of the Racing Mentor Sponsorship Podcast. This week: How to write a press release. Jess and Toby agree that press coverage is a great way to get more visibility for your brand. Local and national awareness means conversations with potential sponsors become so much easier. In this episode Jess and Toby talk you through the art of creating a compelling press release that will be picked up by journalists.
Listen at the links below, or search on your favourite platforms.
Here are the key talking points:
02:28 – How Toby uses press releases
03:40 – Be specific with your story angle
05:10 – Is it timely and relevant?
06:08 – Make it easy for the journalist
08:08 – What format should you follow?
08:45 – Jess explains ‘notes to editors’
10:46 – Including contact details
11:08 – Deep dive part one: Creating a catchy headline
14:06 – Deep dive part two: The first paragraph rule
17:28 – Include quotes to create a human element
19:43 – How to include images (and which ones work)
27:15 – Think about tone and style
29:45 – Racing Mentor’s PR and journalism services
- Listen Again: Podcast 031: How to make a winning first impression
- Listen Again: Podcast 007: Why drivers should focus on PR
- Shop link: Email Sponsorship Templates
- Ask Jess a question for the show here
- Nominate a driver of the week here
- Join the RM Side Hustle Community
- Join the RM Sponsorship Community
- Racing Mentor Podium Club
- Sign up for the RM newsletter
- Read: Chapter Ten – Public Relations : Get Paid To Race book
- Free Download: Guide to Local Press Coverage
- Need some PR training?: 1:1 hourly coaching sessions with Jess
- Take the sponsorship accelerator: Six Weeks to Success