Welcome to the notarised quick reference guide for episode thirty four of the Racing Mentor Sponsorship Podcast. This week: How to find your niche. Jess and Toby take you through the arc of learning about, applying, and then developing your niche; the essential cornerstone needed for standing out as a racing driver. Developing a brand around yourself can feel confusing and awkward, but it doesn’t have to. Including some exclusives from the Racing Mentor Six Weeks to Success course, this week’s episode is your guide to getting step one of your branding journey right.
Listen at the links below, or search on your favourite platforms.
This week’s episode is 52 minutes, our longest yet, and a bit of a masterclass for anyone developing their own racing driver brand.
Here are the highlights:
01:11 – Toby makes an exciting announcement
04:55 – Finding your niche: where to start
05:33 – Toby’s take
06:42 – Who are you? a 360 degree evaluation that includes:
09:55 – Why more than one niche is fine (and advantageous)
12:01 – What about the big names?
12:55 – Lessons from Lewis Hamilton
15:07 – Lessons from Tom Ingram
17:40 – Lessons from Pippa Mann
19:19 – Lessons from Sabre Cook
23:14 – Toby’s niches and why they work
23:55 – So, what about you? (audience participation time!)
24:44 – Breaking down: your interests
27:09 – Breaking down: skills and expertise
32:42 – Recognizing achievement
36:10 – Evolving as a person? What happens to your niche?
41:50 – Relevancy matters: Niches that need leadership
43:02 – Driving mental health matters forward
46:02 – Hitting a sweet spot: driving and baking
48:20 – Driver of the week: Drew Hales
51:00 – Nominate a driver of the week here
- Ask Jess a question for the show here
- Nominate a driver of the week here
- RM Side Hustle Community
- RM Sponsorship Community
- Racing Mentor Podium Club
- Sign up for the RM newsletter
- Read past editions of the Jess of all trades newsletter
- Brand building for beginners: Buy the Get Paid To Race book
- Read: You don’t stand out and it’s hurting your career (blogpost)
- Learn more about Racing Mentor’s LinkedIn webinar series
- Blogpost: What do sponsors want (and deserve) from you?
- Buy the ebook: The Side Hustle Road Map
- Want to talk through branding and niche? 1:1 coaching with Jess
- Signing up a sponsor? Get a contract template here
- The sponsorship accelerator: Six Weeks to Success
How to find your niche