Welcome to the notarised quick reference guide for episode thirty one of the Racing Mentor Sponsorship Podcast. This week: how to make a winning first impression. Jess and Toby talk through the facts and feelings that can influence a first impression; whether you’re meeting potential sponsors, talking on camera after a race, or joining a Zoom video call. Because first impressions tend to stick, hitting the right note each time is something you’ll want to perfect.
Listen at the links below, or search on your favourite platforms.
This week’s episode is 37 minutes of easy-to-implement advice and best practice examples
Here are the highlights:
02:55 – Where you might make a first impression
03:35 – The golden rule you should never break
04:38 – Toby’s take on meetings held online
06:45 – How to manage that big barrier to confidence (nerves)
08:55 – Jess explains the similarities between anxious and excited feelings
09:04 – What about adrenalin-fueled podium interviews?
10:24 – And meeting in person again?
10:37 – The body language giveaway you need to master
12:40 – How to smackdown big meeting nerves
14:22 – Jess explains why you should build around knowledge
15:48 – Toby’s take
16:50 – Reviewing your online presence (they probably google you too!)
20:00 – What ‘picture’ are you building online?
22:00 – Jess and Toby share their first impressions of each other!
23:55 – Take a look at the must-read book they bonded over (partner link)
27:00 – Have you checked your tech recently?
30:30 – Owning your Zoom call background
31:31 – Tell us your first impressions story here (good and bad!)
32:20 – New feature alert!: One Big Idea (aka Challenge Jess)
35:05 – Driver of the Week: Nick Vaughan
36:46 – Nominate a driver of the week here
- Nick Vaughan on YouTube and Facebook
- Check out The 4-Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss (partner link)
- RM Side Hustle Community
- RM Sponsorship Community
- Racing Mentor Podium Club
- Sign up for the RM newsletter
- Sign up for the Jess of all trades newsletter
- Read: The research you need before a big meeting
- Read: Creating a winning brand and image
- Buy the ebook: The Side Hustle Road Map
- Need more media guidance? 1:1 coaching with Jess
- Signing up a sponsor? Get a contract template here
- The sponsorship accelerator: Six Weeks to Success
- Buy the Get Paid To Race book
Maximising opportunities on LinkedIn