Welcome to the notarised quick reference guide to episode fourteen of the Racing Mentor Sponsorship Podcast. This week; sales tips. Jess and Toby talk tactics, confidence, questions and rapport. Think of this episode as your sponsorship negotiation toolbox, transforming the process into something you’ll confidently look forward to and succeed with.
Listen at the links below, or search on your favourite platforms.
This week’s episode is 45 minutes of conversational structure and advice: remember to adapt and develop the ideas to suit your own style and personality.
Here are the highlights:
02:00 – Jess’s background in sales
04:00 – It’s all about rapport
05:15 – Having a service and value mindset
05:55 – The ‘Build and Show’ structure
06:45 – Initial key questions
- Who are the decision makers?
- What are the goals and needs of the business?
09:20 – Toby reminds us about the importance of using ‘Features and Benefits’
10:55 – Relevant episodes you may wish to return to:
12:36 – Confident and comfortable ways to ask money related qualifying questions
- Do you see the value in this for your business?
- Other sponsors pay between £X and £Y for a similar package, is that what you were expecting?
- How much have you spent on similar marketing efforts?
15:22 – Toby shares some of his sponsor conversation experiences
17:50 – Open up opportunities for objections along the way (it’s a good thing,honest)
18:15 – The sales tactics of Jordan Belfort (The Wolf of Wall Street)
21:30 – Why you’ve got to follow up every time, and how to be cool while doing it
23:25 – Toby shares his mindset change to follow ups
25:25 – The other side of following up (the prospects perspective)
26:50 – When to stop trying and move on
27:09 – Closing a deal
- Based on what we’ve discussed…
- When would you like to schedule a final meeting to get contracts signed?
- What steps do we need to take next to make this happen?
- If you’re happy with that, let’s get the contracts signed so we can move forward on confirming your livery/race tracks/catering
- Are there any obstacles to stop this deal happening?
30:40 – The thrill of the close and the start of a new partnership
36:12 – A sponsorship story featuring the Get Paid to Race book
37:35 – Back up a second – you need to look for buying signals first
39:10 – Some final tips for keeping the process on course
42:25 – Driver of the Week: Natalie Brookes
- RM Sponsorship Community
- Buy the Jordan Belfort book (amazon affiliate link)
- Driver of the Week: Natalie Brookes on Insta
- Blog post on getting that meeting
- Renewing existing sponsors
- Blogpost to boost spirits when you get a no
- Email templates to inspire and get you in the door
- Sales coaching with Jess
- Six Weeks to Success
- Buy the Get Paid To Race book